6/11/07

Thank You God (aka Bizmarkie & Redman Freestyle)



I was wondering how the hell I'd ever find this recording. I know some people that have it, but everybody has an excuse- "it's at my mom's house", "it's in the basement", "my landlord is holding it in lieu of rent"... So I was on my new laptop, importing itunes from another computer, and BAM! there it was. I have no clue how it got there, because I've never seen it as a file...but I'll take it. And to share my good fortune, I've decided to post it.

This recording of a rap show Springfirld, Queens was major for us when we started doing KCR. Biz was already an icon, and being from L.I., is probably the reason Redman got on stage. We'd play this cassette on the air frequently, despite the awful sound quality, and it was regularly requested. It's the first time most people heard Redman, and you could imagine the buzz it created for the young Reggie Noble. Red has often sited us playing this as his break- the reason he got on. That may or may not be true, but it definitely created a huge interest in him among the listeners. Biz is entertaining as usual, but because this is only audio, you don't get the full Biz experience. Redman, on the other hand, just destroys it.

Bizmarkie and Redman, Freestyle (circa 1990)

By the way, Redman and Tame are cousins, and at the end of the first verse of "Rated R", the b-side to Redman's first single, Redman says "What's the flavor Tame? (Fuck what you heard, this rated R)" at which point Tame starts popping shit. His vocal is low in the mix, but if you listen for it, it's easy to hear. Tame continues his amped rant at the end of the second verse. Peep it.

Redman, "Rated R" feat. Tame

22 comments:

Vilens said...

good to have you back.

redman...jersey watup.

Kazeiro said...

Wow, great find, glad your back, I always love the tracks you post, and this one is no exception.


Since you got some amazing rarities, do you happen to have Jeru The Damaja's promo on the radio over 10 Crack Com. beat? Can't find that anywhere.

Keep up the outstanding work

Jerome said...

YES!! This is beyond dope - and I was young when this dropped but its always good to hear a young Redman spit - good lookn!!!

Lance said...

props 4 sharing this! a redman classic!

a-one said...

I agonize over what audio I can post up that everybody & their mom doesn't already have then you come & steal my glory TWO TIMES!! (BDK b-day & red/biz freestyle).

I'm just playin... I could really care less. But I do have a tape with both of those sessions + more uploaded. You & your readers might be interested.
http://knowgoodmusic.blogspot.com/2007/04/freestyle-raps-1.html

btw.. I sent the Kane party to Masta Ace & he said he hadn't heard it in years & thought Mr Cee was the only one who still had it. Biz hit me back like "what else you got" which, as you probably know, is Biz-speak for "I already have that, I'm testing you though/"

Allan L. said...

Thanks you SO much, Stretch.

SLurg said...

That freestyle was also on a Tape King mixtape. I have it in a better sound quality if you want.

Maal Cee said...

Stretch,

I'm pretty sure this was in Springfield Gardens in Queens, not Long Island.

Good looking out.

One.

Lex Vegas said...

good looking out!

Lex Vegas said...

good looks.

www.ReloadMagazine.com
www.Myspace.com/ReloadMagazine

Vee said...

Thanks for the audio drops.
Definitely classic material.

I'm still a Redman fan. Is Biz Markie still a DJ?

Anonymous said...

holy shit this is the hottest freestyle ever. i wanted to request you put this up since you started the blog. good lookin stretch boogie!

Mike G said...

That freestyle is ridiculous! Thanks!

MIKE said...

Stretch good looking for this, i had did on a uk bootleg 12" but the sound quality was blah, keep the gems coming

SLurg said...

here is the link to the audio I upload on my blog pressrewind.wordpress.com
http://www.divshare.com/download/919977-a7d

tapeovamomstapes said...

damn just found this spot
my graphic arts hs years are revisited. i need these tapes on my player.






thank you Stretch!!!

tapeovamomstapes said...

hey man str8 up how can i get these to my creative player. i no longer have tapes. can anyone help? advice?

madnice said...

Shit is def. Who is JackTripper from sohh who has all of your shows?

informer said...

ayo stretch or somebody here can tell whose that beat where Xzbit spit in your show back in the dayz, where he starts like this "Ayo it's e to x,and
rough rhyme flexin, yea check it out, check it out, in the east is all ???? no teeth, i'm the least concerned about how many nigga u burn, i extinguish your flame and take game at your brain, givin liquor and pain........"

I really wanna know who's that beat, so if anyone can help, i'll be apreciated

Anonymous said...

ayo stretch or somebody here can tell whose that beat where Xzbit spit in your show back in the dayz, where he starts like this "Ayo it's e to x,and
rough rhyme flexin, yea check it out, check it out, in the east is all ???? no teeth, i'm the least concerned about how many nigga u burn, i extinguish your flame and take game at your brain, givin liquor and pain........"

I really wanna know who's that beat, so if anyone can help, i'll be apreciated

Jalil said...

Stretch, thanks a lot for that one!

Anonymous said...

stretch, just wanted to give much thanks for this blog. this is probably the coolest shit you could ever do for the fans.

thanks

kooch